How do we communicate clearly in a business or technological setting?
Write a One Pager.
To write a good One Pager:
- Write it in one page.
- Put a date at the top, so people know if it’s fresh or stale.
- Write a clear, short title.
- Write a single sentence problem description in the form of a question.
- Write the smallest solution description possible, while being complete and clear.
- Favor lists over prose, so people can scan quickly.
- Don’t editorialize. Avoid hyperbole and sales-speak. Avoid any extra styling.
- Write clear descriptions of needs, goals, challenges, resources, and dependencies.
- Shorter is always better.